As you know, we’re a book-loving family, so of course, I love to pair books with our activities as often as possible! Here are a few to match up with our Screen-Free Week BINGO Challenge.
- Go on a nature walk. Take along 1,000 Things in Nature to use for a search and find and you will be outside for your longest walk yet!
- Have a picnic. There’s no better way to make meals more fun than taking them outside for a picnic! Get your kids involved with planning the meal with a cookbook for kids – Start to Cook or the Children’s World Cookbook for international flavors. We always pack some books in our picnic bag too. We would likely bring along The Sunny Day or one of our other favorite read alouds.
- Go bird watching or bug hunting. Which bug book should you read before before your hunt? There are so many to choose from – Bug Hotel, 1001 Bugs to Spot (or the Sticker Book), and Big Book of Bugs to name a few. Prefer birds? Check out Peek Inside a Bird’s Nest or Pop-Up Birds.
- Play in water. Our new Water Wonders books are perfect for water play! Or of course any of the Magic Painting books (they’re a personal favorite of mine too, not just for kids!).
- Go on a scavenger hunt and take some books with you! We love 199 Zoo Animals for a zoo day or 199 Things on a Farm would be great for a farm visit. The Pocket Books Series is perfect for carrying on walks too!
- Plant something. We started our first little garden last year and it has been so fun having the kids help. We’ve also taken the opportunity to teach about how food grows. These are some of our favorite books to read during gardening season – Secrets of the Vegetable Garden, How Flowers Grow, Science with Plants, and How Do Flowers Grow. For younger readers, we also love Little Look and Lift Garden and Garden Sounds.
- Draw a chalk masterpiece.
While you’re watching clouds, bring along some books to learn more about different kinds of clouds and the weather. The Lift-the-Flap series always keeps my kids engaged, so we love Lift-the-Flap Seasons and Weather and Lift-the-Flap Questions and Answers about Weather. Turn and Learn: Weather and Weather (from the Beginners Series) are great choices too.
Have you joined our BINGO Challenge? Be sure to join my Facebook group – Jaime’s Book Corner VIPs too! You can earn points for participating or get daily activity ideas, along with lots more fun surrounding books and literacy. Plus, there’s a HUGE prize up for grabs this week!!