Shopping for Mother’s Day? Let me help! Here are some unique gift ideas for her this year, from the crafty mom to the outdoorsy mom end every mom in between!
Give the woman in your life hours of fun with one of these crafty gifts!
- The Usborne Complete Book of Art Ideas – This inspiring book is packed full of creative ideas using a wide variety of art forms!
- Easy Origami – Everything you need to fold and display 11 different types of easy origami animals, including butterflies, birds, frogs, lizards, whales, and more. Includes 50 colorful sheets and QR codes for more video instructions.
- My Make-It-Myself Diary – Everything you need to start journaling – along with prompts for writing or drawing.
- Drawing Cartoons (or Faces or Animals) – Easy step-by-step instructions show you how to create all kinds of cartoons, from funny animals and superheroes, to flick-book animations.
- Embroidery Kit – These kits contain everything you need to embroider, frame, and hang a design. Simple, step-by-step instructions show exactly what to do at every step of the way.
- Art Deco Patterns to Color – Explore the glamorous and fashionable Art Deco era in this gorgeous book full of stylish patterns to color, from day-to-day objects like tea sets, to high fashion and groundbreaking architecture.
These books showcase the mother relationship. From sweet stories to books highlighting mothers with challenging jobs, one of these are sure to be a great addition to your home library.
- All About Families – Families come in all shapes and sizes and from all sorts of backgrounds. They speak various languages, eat different sorts of food, live in different kinds of homes, and celebrate special occasions in a variety of ways. Have fun talking with your children about your own family in comparison to those around you.
- The Sound of My Heart – Baby bunny tries to sleep through a storm but there are so many strange noises outside! Mama reassuringly explains each sound, introducing other animals along the way, and ending with the gentle PIT-A-PAT – the song of Mama’s ever-loving heart.
- Love You Hoo – In this sweet story, Big Owl give voice to what every child deserves to know: that they are, and always will be, loved; that life is a journey; that there will be good times and bad, but that their Big Owl will always, “Love you Hoo.”
- All Kinds of Animal Families – Just like us, animal families are all different. From a clownfish mommy and daddy to cheetah daddies who adopt cubs –what do they all have in common? Love, of course! This book is a wonderful celebration of the diversity of family life.
- My Mommy is a Hero – Like daddies, military mommies work at lots of different jobs in all kinds of places. Celebrate the military mom in your life with this rhyming picturing book!
- Luna Loves Art – Luna is going on a school trip to The Art Gallery. Meet Luna’s mom, celebrate great art and new friendships, and learn that not all families are the same.
- Keeping Us Healthy – From dentist to optometrist, veterinarian to ambulance driver, meet the mommies and daddies who help everyone stay healthy.
We all love showering a new mother! Find the perfect book for her – whether it’s her second, third, fourth, fifth or a child she loves through adoption.
- Soon – In this book, little mouse is helping mama mouse get things ready for baby mouse’s arrival. Gentle, lyrical text and sweet watercolor art perfectly capture the excitement of waiting for the arrival of a new baby.
- Say Hello to Baby – This is a handy guide for new big brothers and sisters who are welcoming a new baby into the family. Covering the first 18 months of baby’s life, this book helps readers bond with the new arrival and explains some key developmental milestones to look out for. Fact-filled guide packed with fun and safe suggestions for how siblings can interact and play with Baby.
- How Big is Our Baby – A month-by-month guide to pregnancy, including developmental facts, designed to encourage curiosity and bonding between soon-to-be siblings, while allaying fears about changes to come.
- Babies Come From Airports – A diverse, kid’s-eye view of adoption, one special day, and familial love. This book has a child-friendly rhyming text and colorful illustrations.
What grandmother can resist cuddling up to read? These books are the perfect choice!
- Once Upon a Timely – Whether you love them “glowingly like a dragon’s fire” or “toweringly like a castle’s spire,” this adverb adventure is perfect for sharing, from once upon a time to happily ever after.
- Cuddle Bear’s Book of Hugs – The world is too big for just one Cuddle Bear! How can he deliver all the necessary hugs? Luckily, he has a plan: his Hug Academy, to teach lots of little teddy bears just how to cheer up children everywhere!
- Kisses, Cuddles, and Good Night! – Everyone knows the best way to get ready for bed: a kiss, a cuddle, and a “Good night” with a favorite cuddly toy. Cat, Pig, Sheep, Chick, and Cow have been busy playing all day, but now it’s time to go to bed. They need kisses, cuddles… and a very special friend before they can say, “good night!” Little readers will love helping the friends pick out the perfect stuffed animal for bedtime using the five repositionable and reusable stickers.
- Grandma’s Favorite – Whether a grandma fixes cars, goes to the gym, loves loud, silly songs, or catching bugs, time with her grandkids is what she loves most of all!
- Also an Animal – This joyful, animal ode to the love between a parent and child will have you pretending, imagining, learning and sharing with all the members of your animal kingdom. The gentle rhyming text and gorgeous cut-paper illustrations make this a book to cherish.
- Cuddle Bear – Meet Cuddle Bear – the unforgettable hero with hugs for everyone! If, like lion, panda, penguin, or elephant, you’re feeling sad or lonely, never fear! Cuddle Bear has plenty of hugs to go around. It doesn’t matter if you’re big or tall, short or small, there’s one for every size!
Have a mom in your life that loves getting outdoors? One of these books would be a great gift for her!
- Epic Climbs – Join the brave climbers – including Bear Grylls – who conquered some of the world’s most fearsome mountains while battling extreme weather, treacherous rocks, and other dangers found on the tallest, steepest, and most incredible peaks on the planet.
- Survival Skills Handbook – Embark on an amazing adventure with Bear Grylls as you learn the survival skills – expedition planning, first aid, tracking, and signaling – to stay safe in the wild and be able to cope in all situations.
- Survival Camp – Let Bear Grylls teach you everything you need to know to cope in all weather and terrain and even through the air, over the seas, and under the waves. The wonderful world is out there just waiting to be discovered! The perfect gift for any young adventurers in training.
- 100 Things to Know About Planet Earth – What are phantom islands? How did the Black Death cause an ice age? How could graffiti save endangered tortoises? Find the answers to these questions and 97 more in this bold, graphic, and exciting book, full of amazing things to know about Planet Earth.
- 100 Things to Know About Saving the Planet – This visually stunning book is filled with 100 fascinating facts about looking after our planet, bright, infographic illustrations, and links to specially selected websites to find out more.
- The Outdoor Book – This book has lots and lots of activities to do outdoors, wherever you are or whatever the weather – by the sea or on a riverbank, in the woods, in your garden, when it’s sunny or raining, or even at night. Activities include making a shelter from branches and leaves, going on a nighttime nature walk, marking out trails to follow, making your own map, exploring a rock pool, and even cooking on a campfire.
Here are some great books for the history buff mama in your life!
- History of the World in 100 Pictures – A new way of looking at History through a hundred pictures, this title will give young and older readers alike an overview of the most defining moments of World History. This book contains links to specially selected websites with even more information.
- Timeliness of World History – Discover the history of the world thanks to this detailed book with lots of timelines to help understand the chronology of world history.
- Medieval World – From the big battles to kings and warriors, from peasants to palaces, this lavishly illustrated book is crammed with essential information about the medieval world. Follow the Crusades to the Holy Land, explore China with Marco Polo and visit a Mayan ball game. Find out how a knight trained for battle, who invented fireworks and who the Vandals were.
- Encyclopedia of World Religions – This thought-provoking book offers a balanced exploration of the beliefs, history and customs of all the major world religions, as well as many less well-known faiths, past and present. Spiritually inspiring photographs and illustrations, as well as informative maps and a time chart, will help you to gain a better understanding of: What people of different faiths believe; Where and how people worship; The impact of religion on society; Rites of passage, customs and festivals. Internet links on almost every page take the reader to subject specific world wide web sites for further learning and exploration of the concepts of the religion being discussed.
- 100 Things to Know About History – An eye-catching information book filled with one hundred interesting facts to learn about world history.
- 6 Chelsea Walk Series – Discover the extraordinary lives of the inspiring girls who have lived throughout history at 6 Chelsea Walk. Each book contains two stories of courage and determination, set during times of change in the twentieth century. An inspiration of girls fighting for their dreams!
- Encyclopedia of World History – You will find the history of the world from the prehistoric times to the year 2000, covering the major civilizations, rulers and events. The book paints vivid picture of everyday life over thousands of years and includes: Clear descriptions of historical events — Reconstructions of exciting scenes throughout history — Fascinating illustrations — Over 100 maps — 12000-year illustrated time chart. This combined volume includes: Ancient World, Medieval World, Prehistoric World, and The Last 500 Years.
What mom doesn’t need a little time to herself? Whether she loves fiction or activities, one of these would be a perfect gift!
- Complete Jane Austen – From teenage girls waiting to dance at their very first ball, to mothers hunting for rich husbands for their daughters, Jane Austen’s love stories are famous throughout the world. This collection of adaptations of all six novels — and one shorter tale — with beautiful illustrations and summaries of the characters, is the perfect introduction to Jane Austen. Novels included are: Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion and Lady Susan.
- Complete Dickens – A comprehensive and remarkable collection of retellings of all the major novels and some novellas too! Complete list of stories: The Pickwick Papers, Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby, The Old Curiosity Shop, Barnaby Rudge, A Christmas Carol, Martin Chuzzlewit, Dombey and Son, David Copperfield, Bleak House, Hard Times, Little Dorrit, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, and Our Mutual Friend.
- Amazing Women – Discover the achievements of over 100 brilliant women from around the world. Featuring scientists and politicians, artists and sports stars, the lives of these women will inspire and empower the amazing women of the future to follow their dreams. just a few of the women include Clara Barton, Nancy Reagan, Julia Child, Christa McAuliffe, Maria Tallchief and Condoleeza Rice.
- Butterflies – Katherine is almost eighteen. Severely burned when she was three, she dreams that one day she will look like everyone else. Be like everyone else. Achieve her dreams. But Katherine won’t be seen as a victim. Her life is filled with fun and humor and friendship, as she faces her first “real” date, arguments with her mum, and decisions about her future. An extraordinary story of a journey where pain and trauma become triumph and a passion for living, Butterflies is a coming of age story that celebrates the fighter in all of us.
- Words of Wisdom Coloring Books – These large-format coloring/poster books allow readers to color and decorate uplifting, motivational words and beautiful artwork. Printed on perforated paper, each page can be easily removed from the book for display. Choose from Friendship Quotes, Proverbs from Around the World, Inspirational Quotes, and Quotes from Shakespeare.
- The Unworry Magic Painting Book Everybody worries. This book is a way to help you put your unwanted thoughts to the side and focus on the here and now instead, by simply sweeping a wet paintbrush over the pages and watching them burst into color. Sixteen detailed pictures include under the sea, meadow, and rainforest scenes, plus calming patterns and mandalas to color. With a handy fold-out back cover to prevent colors from running through to the page beneath.
I hope these books gave you some ideas for a unique gift this year for Mother’s Day (or any day)!